Christopher D. Green wrote:

Beth Benoit wrote:

Wow.
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2009/12/21/my_lazy_american_students/?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed1

I got an interesting lesson in this issue from my son -- prior to Beth's post. He was home from a pretty-decent engineering school and he was feeling discouraged. I asked him what was the problem and he said that the school had turned into a "diploma mill." I asked him what he meant by this term since this is a well-known institution. He said that foreign students were coming to the US to get a US-institution-degree because that was the gateway to advancement in their countries. He was discouraged that they were focused on what to do to get the grade alone and would never disagree/take an independent stand if it might affect their grade.

So, I will point out that we may have a correlation between American-citizenship and GPA but, like all correlations, the causality is murky often.

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu
Professor
Department of Psychology          http://www.psych.appstate.edu