Hi all. I'm putting together a reading list for a 400-level class on social and personality development. I'm looking for help with two different kinds of readings.

(1) I'm looking for a book chapter that does a good job of summarizing research methodology, specifically dealing with social and personality development. In the past, I've used a chapter out of Schaffer's Social Devleopment book, but it's getting dated. Any suggestions?

(2) I'm also looking for a Stanovich-type book chapter (similar to his How to Think Straight About Psychology), but geared more towards students who have already had some background in psychology in general. Specifically, I'd like something with more developmental psychology examples, specifically dealing with the idea that anecdotes, folk wisdom, and personal experience need to be taken with a grain of salt. For those of you who are interested, we'll already be reading a few chapters out of Harris's No Two Alike (for a counterpoint to much of what we'll read), so I'm looking for suggestions other than those of Harris.

Any ideas?

Mark

Mark A. Casteel, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology