Pat Cabe wrote:
"I think it is very easy to overlook the incredibly short history of
psychology as a science. The 150 years of so that we acknowledge is so very
brief compared to the depth of history behind essentially all the other
"traditional" sciences."

I've got to strenuously disagree with you on this, Pat.  Biology hasn't been
 truly "experimental" for much more than 150 years.  Until then it was
largely descriptive.   Folks have been describing behavior and personality
for thousands of years.....at least as long as they've been describing
biological phenomena.  What we lack is not a history.  What we lack is a
comprehensive theory to draw it all together (such as the evolutionary
psychologists are trying to develop) and the ability to relate behavioral
processes to biological process  (which the various subtypes of
physiological psychologists are attempting to do).    The physiological
research has only started to mushroom with the advent of techniques (like
PET scanners, microdialysis, etc.) so I would argue that the lack of tools,
rather than the lack of years, is what   has held us back.
Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.                      Office (610)436-2945
Professor and Chairperson                    Home (610)363-1939
Department of Psychology                     FAX (610)436-2846
West Chester University                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
West Chester, PA  19383       www.wcupa.ed
Husband, father, biopsychologist and bluegrass fiddler........... not
necessarily in order of importance.