Hi,
  I recently read James Hilton's article in this month's APS Observer with
some general tips about teaching large courses. Having taught with him (as
a graduate student small-section leader) I can't say enough about how much
I respect his advice and approach. His students love him as well!  The
article might be a good start - it references other readings as I recall.

Good luck!
Connie Wolfe
Department of Psychology                        525 E. University
3213 East Hall                                  University of Michigan
734-764-9433                                    Ann Arbor, MI 48109