We established a departmental IRB (two faculty) who pass on experimental psy
projects.  This departmental IRB quicker and less cumbersome than an
institutional IRB.

Jerry Henkel-Johnson, Psy.D.
The College of St. Scholastica
Duluth, MN  55811
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> Michael Hulsizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/16 11:37 AM >>>
Tipsters,

Would projects not approved by the IRB be covered if there was a
lawsuit.  I
understand a lawsuit in these cases is unlikely, but I can think of some

questionnaire items that could be very offensive.

Thanks for your answers

Mike Hulsizer

Kirsten Rewey wrote:

> Mike & other TIPsters:
>
> I teach the experimental psychology course at SVC and have never had
to go
> through IRB.  The policy at SVC is that if the "experiment" or
> "observation" is a straightforward survey (e.g., how stressed are
you?)
> then IRB approval wasn't necessary.  I have had students make
observations
> off campus (e.g., at the local mall, in a hospital) and have had
students
> clear their projects through the appropriate offices but never have
had to
> go through IRB.
>
> Kirsten

> Kirsten Rewey, Ph.D.                |
> Department of Psychology            |
> 300 Fraser Purchase Road            |   "Those who make peaceful
revolution
> St. Vincent College                 |     impossible will make violent

> Latrobe, PA  15650                  |     revolution inevitable."
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]           |
>                                     |          --John F. Kennedy
> (724) 532-6600 ext. 2375            |

Michael Hulsizer