Thanks to all of you who responded to my request about information on
briefer General Psy. texts.  The following texts were mentioned.
Several of you also pointed out that some publishers offer customized
publishing; texts mentioned for this were Rathus, Sternberg, Santrock,
and Matlin.

BARON (Allyn & Bacon)

BERNSTEIN & NASH (Houghton-Mifflin)

FELDMAN, Essentials of Psychology (McGraw-Hill)
Comments:
I have gotten good feedback from students (Sara Pollak Levine)

HOCKENBURY & HOCKENBURY (Worth)

MYERS
Comments:
I like it a lot except for the memory chapter, which prevented me
from adopting it earlier than I did.  A new edition is out (4th, you
may have it) which is supposed to have an extensively revised memory
chapter.  I have not seen it yet.  The students like the text and the
instructors resource guide is the best in the business, in my view.
(Jeff Nagelbush)

I tried the briefer Myers once.  The biggest differences are cost to
the student and the amount of reading they do.  The number of
chapters and major topics was the same, chapters were just shorter
and less detailed.  We have to be so selective in what we cover in
class that I didn't notice much difference in the nature of my
lectures with the shorter versus the longer version (I just felt less
guilty about what I wasn't talking about overtly in class).  (Claudia
Stanny)

I haven't looked at the other brief texts that are out there, but
I like the way Myers writes, I've used his texts since grad school,
and my Worth book rep is *great*.  Oh!  And the students like his
book, too.  :-)   (Sue Frantz)

STERNBERG, Pathways to Psychology (Harcourt Brace)
Comments:
... another briefer text, which is good, too. (Carol Hayes)

WEITEN, Psychology: Themes and Variations (note: my Brooks/Cole rep
says there is a new edition due out in March)
Comments:
Goes nice with his CD Psyk.trek for content and demos. (Shirley-Anne
Hensch)

We have used the Weiten briefer version Themes and
Variations (ITP) which I really, really liked.  (Carol Hayes)

WOOD & WOOD (Allyn and Bacon, due in early summer)
Comments:
This is one of the best books I have used in ten years, the students
love it.  (Fred Whitford)

David Kreiner
Professor of Psychology
Central Missouri State University