Do all of the options you listed and then also report them to your
Dean's office. We have an academic honesty panel that reviews all
cases reported. I think this is only a precurosr of things to come
when it starts out over such a trivial assignment this early in the
semester. I am sure they will have a great "explanation" but I'd
nip it in the bud for everyone and only a serious consequence seems
to work, I have found.

annette

ps, the most recent case I reported: every year we do 4 APA reports
in my research methods class--because it is lower division and their
first exposure I write the intro and results for the first two papers
and they do the method discussion sections--warms them up to the task.

Well over the years I have mixed up the studies so that a study I did
last semester as the 3rd paper--for which they have to write their
introduction independently, was a paper for which in years gone by
I had written the introduction and they wrote other sections.

Lo and Behold! you guessed it, my introduction from years past was
handed in by a student as her own!!! Yes, how stupid can they be? Well,
pretty stupid I guess. I _CERTAINLY_ recognized my own words!!!
But I do know that fraternies/sororities keep stuff like this on file
and the student who originally "filed" it is probably long graduated
and gone.

So NIP IT IN THE BUD now, with a rather serious consqeuence!
annette

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Lisa Bowleg wrote:

> Hello Tipsters,
>
> Well, it's happened...  Call me naive, but I'm shocked.  I'm a first year
> faculty member teaching an advanced (i.e., juniors, seniors and graduate
> students) Psychology of Sexualities course.  As a first assignment, I gave
> a simple syllabus critique assignment.  The assignment is designed to
> ensure that students have carefully read and understood the syllabus.  It
> also gives them an opportunity to provide feedback about the course, due
> dates etc.  In addition to stating their level of agreement with statements
> (e.g., the syllabus clearly states course objectives), I ask them to
> provide a course learning goal and to proofread the syllabus (as practice
> for the proofreading that I hope they will do when they hand in their
> papers).  The assignment is very easy and should take the average student
> 10 minutes to do.  In return, they get to earn 5 points.
>
> Yesterday, I sat down to grade the assignments and found to my surprise
> that two students (they are roommates) had typed up and handed in the EXACT
> page margins or one word!  I might add that my syllabus has a section about
> academic honesty that says that "... submitting work that belongs to
> someone else as your own is plagiarism."  I plan to give both students a 0
> for the work (in addition to the blatant copying, they both failed to
> answer a question, and one did not address the learning goals statement)
> but would also like to send a very strong message about how serious (not to
> mention disrespectful.  How stupid do they think I am?)this offense is.
> What's the best route?:
>
> 1.  Write on their papers that this is academic dishonesty and serious, and
> that they should consider this a one-time only warning?
> 2. Ask them to come and see me together and then talk to them about
> academic dishonesty?
> 3. Other?
>
> Thanks, I look forward to your suggestions.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Lisa Bowleg, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Psychology
> University of Rhode Island
> 10 Chafee Road, Suite 8
> Kingston, RI 02881-0808
> Tel: (401)874-4597
> Fax: (401)874-2157
> E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Annette Taylor, Ph. D.
Department of Psychology                E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of San Diego                 Voice:   (619) 260-4006
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA  92110

                "Education is one of the few things a person
                 is willing to pay for and not get."
                                                -- W. L. Bryan