Some time ago (September 4, 1998, for example) we debated the issue of
whether dreams take place exclusively in REM sleep. I suggested not.

Certain lesions impair REM sleep. An important case was reported by
the Israeli neuroscientist Peretz Lavie, who reported that a soldier
with a shapnel injury to his brainstem showed little or no sign of
REM sleep. However, the report did not say whether he nevertheless
dreamed. From time-to-time I would presumptuously write Dr. Lavie and
ask him about his case. He was cordial, but had no further
information.

Today I've come across a news report of a conference presentation
(Mark Solm, St. Bart's, London at AAAS) on 26 people with brain injury
that prevents REM sleep. All but one still reported dreams.

The url is:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/living/DailyNews/dreams990126.html

I suggest you forget the Freudian nonsense associated with the news
item. The observations are the real news. And it's nice to be right
after failing both on Alan Sokal's name and on Social Text.

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy