In a message dated 2/7/99 11:56:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Subj:  Re: adjunct profs
>  Date:        2/7/99 11:56:00 AM Eastern Standard Time
>  From:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Blue)
>  Sender:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>  >Thus we also experience
>  >the stress of applying for full-time jobs where we are teaching (having
> show
>  >ourselves to be good and dedicated) only to see outsiders hired for those
>  >positions that we have been auditioning for  over the past months or
years.
>  >>>>>>>>
>  Middle States stated that we were hiring to many local people and must hire
> from
>  out of the area to keep our accreditation.  Adjuncts must be local.  Full
> time
>  can be anyone.
>
>  Ron Blue

Ron and anyone else 'listening':

This is an interesting explanation. As departmental coordinator for the
Assessment Steering Committee (reaccreditation driven) and active committee
member of Criteria's III and IV in preparation for our college's NCA
reaccreditation, I have found the visiting NCA officials quite open to
*discussing* the issues and their concerns. . . . and flexible in response to
contrary, but rational reactions to any concerns raised. I have not found them
to be demi-Gods issuing edicts from above.

Did anyone ask what particulars (and perhaps erroneous assumptions) were
behind such a generalization? Geez, are "we" *really* going to equate personal
mobility with professional competence and other qualities that 'ensure'
success in higher education ?? I would think that in most locales, there is
sufficient diversity of training programs in any given field so as to avoid
'academic inbreeding' of sorts even if drawing from the local professional
pool.  That is, if uniquely suitable and needed academic contributions can be
made by a worthy candidate who is 'local', then in my experience hiring of
this individual would be sanctioned by any accreditation organization.
Furthermore, If such a candidate has demonstrated his competence, dedication,
etc. in his role as an adjunct - taking the time to lay out this 'argument' in
support for such a person is the only moral way to approach the situation
IMHO.

*
Sandra Nagel Randall, Ph.D.
Wayne County Community College District, MI
Department of Human and Community Development

Athabasca University, Alberta, Canada
Biopsychology Consultant

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Off: 248-948-8162