Daniel Schacter has an article in the most recent American Psychologist:

"The seven sins of memory: Insights from psychology and cognitive neuroscience"
(Vol. 54, pp. 182-203):

        I suggest that memory's transgressions can be divided into seven
        basic "sins." ... _Transience_ involves decreasing accessibility
        of information over time, _absent-mindedness_ entails inattentive
        or shallow processing..., and _blocking_ refers to the temporary
        inaccessibility of information that is stored in memory....
        _Misattribution_ involves attributing a recollection or idea to the
        wrong source, _suggestibility_ refers to memories that are implanted
        as a result of leading questions or comments during attempts to
        recall past experiences, and _bias_ involves retrospective distortions
        and unconscious influences that are related to current knowledge
        and beliefs. The seventh and final sin, _persistence_, refers to
        pathological remembrances: information or events that we cannot
        forget, even though we wish we could. (p. 183)

Just a public-service message from The Ricker Foundation.

Jeff Ricker
Scottsdale Community College
Scottsdale AZ