As odd as it is for me send something to the list that doesn't pertain
to dismembered corpses...

Each semester I do a classical conditioning demo in my classes.  I
condition my students to salivate when I say "Pavlov" (because I can
never remember to get a bell) by putting lemonade powder on their
tongues.

Someone on this list -- per usual, I can't remember who (sorry!) -- made
the suggestion of using pixie stix.  Of course I thought that was a
*wonderful* idea (especially since it meant I could get rid of putting
lemon flavored koolaid in dixie cups).

I generally do 20 acquisition trials when I do the demo.  My question is
for those who use the pixie stix... how many acquisition trials can you
get out of one pixie stick?

<Warning: Digression ahead!>

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a
tootsie pop?  Which, of course, is an empirical question.  What an idea
for a methods class!  There could be discussion of lack of experimental
control if participants were allowed to lick the tootsie pop however
they want -- if some just licked one side, they would get to the center
faster.  You'd have to throw out subjects who bit into it.  How do you
operationally define a "lick"? -- Sheesh!  It must be *early*.  This has
all the earmarks of a "3 a.m. idea" -- it sounds good now, but once I
come fully awake I know it's going to sound ridiculous.

--
Sue Frantz                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Faculty Office Bldg, 2400 Scenic Drive     Office: (505)439-3752