TIPSters,
I've stayed mute on the subject of Joyce Brothers, but it's
really beginning to trouble me that the posts make TIPS sound
petty and gossipy.  The accusations and allegations about her
may not be true at all, yet we're jumping from "I heard..." to
"How could she do that?"  To accuse a therapist of divulging
client information is pretty harsh.  And the funny thing is, I
remember reading that she never did therapy, but taught
psychology (at Columbia and Hunter College), which makes the
allegations about her divulging client info on a talk show kind
of moot.  She got her doctorate from Columbia.  A web search
revealed that she is frequently on the list of "Top Ten Most Admired
People" of college students.  I don't belong to the APA anymore
either (too expensive), but I hope people don't make a conjecture
that _I_ was kicked out.

What's everybody's gripe about her?  She's essentially Ann
Landers with a Ph.D.  I don't think she claims to be performing
heavy-duty therapy, and she gives solid, sensible advice. Why
the venom?

Beth Benoit
University of Massachusetts Lowell