While overseeing several research projects in the Nicotine Research Lab at the
Univ of Mich several years ago, I immersed myself in a surprisingly complex
literature. I emerged with a new found respect for the profound and diverse
neurochemical and physiological effects of nicotine ! Certainly, it has been
demonstrated that nicotine modulates the activity of catecholamine,
serotonergic, acetycholine, and even endorphin systems. Some mapping of this
activity has been done and theories of underlying mechanism exist, but results
(in humans) are sketchy at this point. . . One thing 'for sure' - it doesn't
seem surprising that the availabilty of such a neuronally-active substance
while sleeping might affect dream states.

(affiliated with the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco) for input
from the experts.  The responses received so far are copied below:

If more responses arrive, I will pass the info along. But for now, I'm off to
enjoy a Valentine's Day dinner with my favorite guy !

Sandra

Sandra Nagel Randall, Ph.D.
Wayne County Community College District, MI
Department of Human and Community Development

Athabasca University, Alberta, Canada
Biopsychology Consultant

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Off: 248-948-8162