Thanks to S. Black for a good synposis and integration of two recent threads.
I have been describing to students the newer findings on 'REM/dream
isomorphism' (or lack thereof) since I learned of them here on TIPS. This is
another example for students of the lag time between the publication of
important primary research, and the inclusion of such information in
textbooks. . .  due, perhaps at times, to the resistance of mainstream science
to new data or perspectives (the old skepticism - humility balance again). . .
or as E. Pollack pointed out, just simply the lack of time to keep up with it
all !  This is one reason I have found time spent with TIPS so useful.

The references provided previously by nicotine researchers on the topic of
dreams following nicotine withdrawal and/or patch treatment are:

(see Hajek, P. & Belcher, M. (1991) The dream of
absent-minded transgression. A cognitive withdrawal symptom. Journal of
Abnormal Psychology, 100, 497 491).

Leischow, S.J., Valente, S.N., Hill, A.L., Otte, P.S., Aickin, M., Holden, T.,
Kligman, E., & Cook, G.  (1997). The effects of nicotine dose and
administration
method on withdrawal symptoms and side effects during short-term smoking
abstinence.
Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 5(1), 54-64.

I am also forwarding (with Glover's permission, of course) a message from the
SRNT listserv that summarizes the previous comments concerning nicotine and
dreams.  The information is primarily clinical and anectodal, but even S.B.
has argued on occasion for the relevance of case studies.

If anyone is interested, I can send another nicotine researcher's description
of a multivariate experiment, designed to clarify the as of yet ambiguous
relationship between nicotine and dreams.

Subj:         Weird Dreams