On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Marie Helweg-Larsen went:

> But I'm not sure about women.  Are women also more accepting of
> female as opposed to male homosexuality.

Hmm.  On the face of it, it seems unlikely to me--locker-room-style
"stop-looking-at-me" homophobia is probably just as likely in women as
in men.  What did you find when you searched the literature, Marie?
What I found was the following abstracts, which suggest an absence of
sex differences in attitudes toward lesbians:

<1>
Author
  Baker, Janet G;  Fishbein, Harold D.
Title
  The development of prejudice towards gays and lesbians by adolescents.
Source
  Journal of Homosexuality. Vol 36(1), 1998, 89-100.
Abstract
  Studied the development of gay and lesbian prejudice (G/LP) in 276 White,
  suburban adolescents in grades 7, 9, and 11. The authors focused on 3
  questions: (1) gender and age differences in G/LP; (2) the relationship
  between G/LP and individual differences in personality; and (3) the
  relationship between G/LP and race prejudice. Ss completed several
  measures of (sexual and racial) prejudice and personality. Results
  paralleled several major findings with adults: males were more prejudiced
  than females; this difference was greater towards gay males than lesbians;
  and same-sex prejudice was greater than opposite-sex prejudice. For males
  and females, prejudice increased between grades 7 and 9, but from grades 9
  to 11 it decreased for females and increased for males. These differences
  were explained by the increased vulnerability of males to defensive
  reactions in response to the prospect of intimate relationships. None of
  the personality measures were significantly correlated with prejudice.
  Race prejudice and G/LP were significantly but weakly related.

<2>
Author
  LaMar, Lisa;  Kite, Mary.
Title
  Sex differences in attitudes toward gay men and lesbians: A
  multidimensional perspective.
Source
  Journal of Sex Research. Vol 35(2), 1998, 189-196.
Abstract
  Addressed 4 components of attitudes toward gay men and lesbians:
  condemnation/tolerance, morality, contact, and stereotypes. It was
  hypothesized that attitudes would vary by component and by the sex of the
  person being rated. 270 college students (aged 17-22 yrs) completed a
  questionnaire measuring attitudes toward homosexuality. Results indicated
  that men (n = 137) held more negative attitudes toward homosexuals than
  did women (n = 133) on all factors except stereotypes, and that attitudes
  toward gay men were more negative than were attitudes toward lesbians on
  all factors. On all subscales except stereotypes, men rated gay men more
  negatively than lesbians. Women rated gay men and lesbians similarly on
  the condemnation/tolerance subscale and the morality subscale, but rated
  lesbians more negatively on the contact subscale. The results confirm that
  to understand sex differences in attitudes toward homosexuality fully,
  researchers must consider both attitude component and the sex of the
  person being rated.

<3>
Author
  Matchinsky, Debra J;  Iverson, Timothy G.
Title
  Homophobia in heterosexual female undergraduates.
Source
  Journal of Homosexuality. Vol 31(4), 1996, 123-128.
Abstract
  Examined differences between the level of homophobia in psychology majors
  vs student with one or no courses in psychology and variables that could
  predict degrees of homophobia. 108 heterosexual female undergraduates the
  index ofhomophobia scale (W. W. Hudson et al, 1980). An additional
  questionnaire examined beliefs and exposure to homosexuality. Analyses
  indicated more positive attitudes in Ss working toward a psychology degree
  than in those Ss with only 1 course in psychology. A negative correlation
  was found between homophobia scores and belief in a biological cause of
  homosexuality, and a positive correlation between homophobia scores and
  belief in a psychologic cause of homosexuality.

<4>
Author
  Simon, Angela.
Title
  Some correlates of individuals' attitudes toward lesbians.
Source
  Journal of Homosexuality. Vol 29(1), 1995, 89-103.
Abstract
  Investigated the relationship between individuals' attitudes toward
  lesbians and other attitudes and personal characteristics. 564 students
  (17-50 yrs old) completed the Attitudes Toward Lesbians Scale, along with
  items assessing interactions with lesbians. Social desirability and gender
  role self-concept were also assessed, along with the individuals'
  attitudes toward love and sex. Results show that attitudes were not
  related to the Ss' sex and gender role self-concept, and positive
  attitudes were associated with having positive contact with lesbians,
  lesbian friends and contemporary attitudes toward women. More permissive
  sexual attitudes were associated with more positive attitudes towards
  lesbians.

<5>
Author
  Kerns, John G;  Fine, Mark A.
Title
  The relation between gender and negative attitudes toward gay men and
  lesbians: Do gender role attitudes mediate this relation?
Source
  Sex Roles. Vol 31(5-6), Sep 1994, 297-307.
Abstract
  Examined whether traditional gender role attitudes mediated the relation
  between gender and negative attitudes toward gay men and lesbians. 155
  heterosexual undergraduates (59% female) completed questionnaires that
  assessed their attitudes toward gay men and lesbians and their gender role
  attitudes. Although males reported more negative attitudes toward gay men
  than did females, there were no gender differences in attitudes toward
  lesbians. Traditional gender role attitudes mediated the relation between
  gender and attitudes toward gay men. Results suggest that attitudes toward
  gay men are more strongly related to gender role attitudes than to gender.

<6>
Author
  Griffin, Pat.
Chapter Title
  Homophobia in women's sports: The fear that divides us.
Source
  Cohen, Greta L. (Ed);  et al. (1993). Women in sport:  Issues and
  controversies.  (pp. 193-203). Newbury Park, CA, USA: Sage Publications,
  Inc. xix, 338 pp.
Abstract
  Discusses homophobia in women's sports as embedded in the larger context
  of a culture that both attaches stigma to homosexuality and has yet to
  afford women social equality.

<7>
Author
  Eliason, Michele J;  Randall, Carla E.
Title
  Lesbian phobia in nursing students.
Source
  Western Journal of Nursing Research. Vol 13(3), Jun 1991, 363-374.
Abstract
  Investigated 120 female undergraduate nursing students' attitudes toward
  lesbians, particularly in relation to Ss' age, sex-role identity, and
  familiarity with lesbian lifestyles (LLSs). 25 women served as controls.
  Ss completed the Bem Sex Role Inventory and questionnaires on demographic
  variables, and political issue statements. Ss also judged (1) whether
  women in 15 groups were more or less likely to be lesbians and (2) 2
  photographs of women labeled lesbians. Lesbian phobia was common among Ss,
  and 50% of them indicated that LLSs were not acceptable. 15% of the Ss
  felt there should be laws against lesbian sexual behavior. Only 24% were
  willing to invite a lesbian to their home. Ss indicated that lesbians
  seduced straights and they were a high risk group for AIDS. Suggestions
  are given for inclusion of lesbian culture in nursing education.

<8>
Author
  Stevenson, Michael R;  Gajarsky, Wendy M.
Title
  Issues of gender in promoting tolerance for homosexuality.
Source
  Journal of Psychology & Human Sexuality. Vol 3(2), 1990, 155-163.
Abstract
  Investigated the extent to which gender of target and gender of respondent
  account for changes in attitudes toward homosexuality that might result
  from completing a college-level course in human sexuality. 61 female and
  29 male self-defined heterosexual undergraduates enrolled in an
  introductory psychology course or a human sexuality course. During the 1st
  and last wks of class, all Ss completed a series of attitude measures,
  including measures of attitudes toward homosexuality. Females and males
  did not differ significantly in attitudes toward lesbians and gay men, but
  attitudes toward lesbians were more easily changed than attitudes toward
  gay men, regardless of gender of the respondent.

<9>
Author
  Newman, Bernie S.
Title
  The relative importance of gender role attitudes to male and female
  attitudes toward lesbians.
Source
  Sex Roles. Vol 21(7-8), Oct 1989, 451-465.
Abstract
  Investigated the pattern of predictors for attitudes toward lesbians
  (ATLs) in 114 male and 183 female undergraduates. Questionnaires included
  the Attitudes Toward Women Scale and a potentiality for fascism scale. For
  males, gender role attitudes (GRAs) were the only significant predictor,
  while GRAs, parental attitudes, authoritarianism, and educational and
  media influences made a contribution to female ATLs. Despite more liberal
  GRAs expressed by female respondents, there was no difference between male
  and female ATLs. The female respondents' development of ATLs seems to be a
  product of a wider array of variables, with GRAs playing a more central
  role in the development of male ATLs. Nevertheless, the importance of GRAs
  to both male and female ATLs suggests that stratification by sex might be
  an underlying variable for both GRAs and ATLs.