Johnna,

I am very much in support of the points you make.  I too am an experimental
psychologist and have used the *subject pool* on many occasions.  I have also
taught large introductory sections where there was a research requirement.  I
think those professors teaching these large introductory classes have an
obligation to convey this message.  Unfortunately, some may knowingly or
unknowingly convey the message that this is a burden, a hurdle that the students
need to overcome to pass the class.  I have heard professors exclaim to a class
that the subject pool is in place to collect data....no mention was made of the
potential educational benefits.  This could potentially turn-off students to
psychology because of this *burden* that they have to endure.  If students'
perceive this requirement as a hurdle to the successful completion of the course,
then I think the professor has failed to convey the true meaning of these
exercises.

Just my .02 cents :-)

Mike Hulsizer

--