Talking in sleep is a related phenomenon to sleepwalking. Moorcroft (1993)
suggests that it may occur during stage 3 and may actually be a result of
intrusion of stage 2 electrical activity during stage 3 sleep. It has to
occur in NREM sleep, because in REM the motor system (and hence the speech
system) is paralyzed.

Hope this helps -
Johnna

   Moorcroft, W. H. (1993). Sleep, dreaming, and sleep disorders. Lanham,
MD: University Press of America.

At 9:20 AM -0500 3/2/99, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi folks:
>
>My understanding is that somnambulism is usually a stage 4 occurrence.  Is
>talking in one's sleep more usual in one particular stage?  NREM or REM?  This
>is to answer a student's question.  Thanks for your help.
>
>Nancy Melucci
>The not so merry wanderer
>Garden Grove, CA

Johnna K. Shapiro, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Illinois Wesleyan University                   "Thousands of years ago,
Bloomington, IL  61702                          cats were worshipped as
gods.
309/556-3164 or 556-3803                        Cats have never forgotten
this."
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
website: http://titan.iwu.edu/~jshapiro                   =^..^=    -Anonymous