RJ asked:
"What is the "typical" and/or most constructive route toward such a degree?
" (i.e., forensic psych)

Has anyone else noticed the dramatic increase in students asking about
forensic psych lately?  It seems to me that they all want to be "profilers"
for the FBI.  I trace it all back to "Silence of the Lambs" and "The
Profiler" TV series.

But to answer the question:  I first disabuse them of the notion that most
forensic psychologists are "profilers" and that most  do lots of evaluations
for child custody cases.   Then I tell them that it is my (admittedly poor)
understanding that gold standard in this area would be program that offers a
joint J.D./Ph.D. degree.  There are a few..... but very few.  Second best is
a clinical doctorate that advertises a forensic subspecialty.  After that, I
usually tell them to get a clinical or counseling psych doctorate while
trying to get as much relevant internship and coursework as possible.
Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.                      Office (610)436-2945
Professor and Chairperson                    Home (610)363-1939
Department of Psychology                     FAX (610)436-2846
West Chester University                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
West Chester, PA  19383       www.wcupa.ed
Husband, father, biopsychologist and bluegrass fiddler........... not
necessarily in order of importance.