In a message dated 4/14/99 3:25:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Subj:  Blind student in cog psych
>  Date:        4/14/99 3:25:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>  From:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Casteel)
>  Sender:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>  I've been approached by one of our blind students on campus about taking
> my
>  cognitive psychology course next fall. I teach the course with many
>  overheads of figures and graphs from our text and others, and I'm not sure
>  how to accomodate this student's needs. Have any of you taught cog psych to
>  a blind student? If so, what sorts of accomodations were made? Any
>  suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Mark -

of higher ed provide various support services for students with visual (and
other impairments).  Your prospective student is probably already aware of
the services available to him/her through your campus 'student services'.
S/he is also likely aware of the federal program, "Books for the Blind",
which provides (through the generosity of volunteers nationwide) texts and
other reading materials in recorded and/or Braille format. Simply provide
your student with the names of the published materials you plan to use, and
he can take care of the rest of this process.

Having been there before, a couple of suggestions that your prospective
student may find helpful: allow him to copy your overhead materials for use
outside the classroom and allow him to tape your class activities for later
review.

Best wishes to both of you,

Sandra

*
Sandra Nagel Randall, Ph.D.
Wayne County Community College District, MI
Department of Human and Community Development
22265 Carleton Ave.
Southfield, MI  48034

Athabasca University, Alberta, Canada
Biopsychology Consultant