Well, as a social psychologist I'm biased, but my favorite brief description
of the role of theory is Kurt Lewin's (1940) chapter "Formalization and
progress in psychology" that is included in the book _Field theory in social
science_ (1951) that was edited by Dorwin Cartwright. Another, more general
classic is Campbell, N.R. (1920/1951). The structure of theories. In H.
Feigl & M. Brodbeck (Eds.) _Readings in the philosophy of science_. I like
this a lot, but my grad students found it hard to follow, probably because
the examples were not psych ones. I'd love to see a summary of all the
suggestions.

Marty Bourgeois
University of Wyoming