On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Beth Benoit wrote:

> Has anyone ever gotten pointedly negative feedback about red
> ink being "culturally insensitive"?  A student objected to
> my use of red ink for corrections on a paper (saying his
> parents agreed!!...)< snip>

Beth is "floored" by this but she shouldn't stay down for the count.
Unfortunately, this kind of outrageous complain seems to be spreading.
Recently I was informed by a student in my child psychology class that
my use of the term "mental retardation" was offensive. She recommended
the illness-inducing euphemism "challenged" instead. She was supported
by others.

I did some web research and discovered that while "mental retardation"
is widely used in the U.S., sure enough, in Canada there does appear
to be a movement to discourage its use. Nevertheless, it is still
often used in academia (in course and journal titles, and in the
research literature). I told the class that I would therefore continue
to use the offensive term. Moreover,I reminded them that "mental
retardation" is itself a euphemism for older terms such as "moron"
and idiot". I don't think I convinced my accusers but so far, I seem
to have escaped being reported to the harassment committee (which
deals with professors who make students "uncomfortable").

As for red ink, I don't advocate that Beth back down if that's what
she wants to use. But I always preferred pencil myself, mainly because
I change my mind a lot, and like to have the opportunity to erase. But
I'd certainly be wary of switching to black ink: who knows what
dangerous and offensive stereotypes lurk in _that_ symbolic gesture.
Perhaps the only truly safe choice is invisible ink.

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy