In a message dated 4/21/99 10:19:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Subj:  Behavioral Medicine
>  Date:        4/21/99 10:19:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time
>  From:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kathleen T. Doherty)
>  Sender:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>  Hi folks --
>
>  Can someone explain the difference between Behavioral Medicine and Health
>  Psychology? The brief explanations I've found in texts are still somewhat
>  vague.
>
>  Kathy Doherty

Hi Kathy et al.,

Although in research & practice the boundaries overlap, in my experience
Behavioral Medicine is to "diagnosis and treat" (use of Psych principles to
improve diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions), whereas Health
Psychology is to "prevent" (use of Psych principles to educate and prevent
medical conditions). . . .probably no better of an explanation than that
offered in the Intro texts !!

BTW - I had been told (by the 'co-founder' and director of Behav Med at Univ
of Michigan for well over 20 years) that the roots of Behavioral Medicine go
back to research conducted on smoking cessation at the University of
Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. . . . Yet with an internet search I happened
upon the following:

 <A HREF="http://people.unt.edu/~qmb0001/defpage1.html">Definitions of
Behavioral Medicine
</A> <A HREF="http://people.unt.edu/~qmb0001/defpage1.html">
</A> <A HREF="http://people.unt.edu/~qmb0001/bmhomepg.htm">The History of
Behavioral Medicine
</A>

. . . . perhaps it depends on one's perspective !! ?

Sandra

p.s. On a different topic, I've used green for years. . . as 'they' (whoever
they are) say "an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure."   =)

Sandra Nagel Randall, Ph.D.
Wayne County Community College District, MI
Department of Human and Community Development
22265 Carleton Ave.
Southfield, MI  48034

Athabasca University, Alberta, Canada
Biopsychology Consultant