I'd draw a distinction between a course grade and grades on individual
assignments.  The criteria for the final course grade should be clear, and
the same for all students.
However, I think that there is an argument to be made for using
intermediate grades as reinforcers for progress towards that goal, and
basing them in part on improvement rather than absolute performance.
Of course, if you use a point system for grades -- where individual
assignments earn points towards a final grade -- this might not be possible.

At 12:05 AM -0400 4/22/99, pamela wrote:
>I was hoping some seasoned Tipsters could share their perspectives
>on "fair" grading practices.  I'm teaching a research methods course
>in cognitive psych.  This is a 4 credit "writing intensive" course and
>most of my students are graduating seniors.  As usual, students vary in
>psych aptitude and writing ability.
>
>One of my goals for this course was to push students toward completion
>of a high quality APA manuscript.  I have required first drafts of every
>section and have written specific suggestions, criticisms, and praise.
>I accept revisions at any time, answer questions by phone and email, and
>schedule individual appointments to go over the written work.
>
>I have a few students who simply can't write well.  My goal for these
>students is improvement.  I basically see these students as passing with
>a C.  I also have several very talented students who intend to pursue
>graduate school at some point.  Most of these students are earning A
>grades on most sections.  However, recently one of these students got
>a B+ on the discussion section.  She understood my comments and how
>I wanted her to hone the focus of her paper.  Everything was fine
>till she bumped into one of my C students who was thrilled with her
>first B section.  The first student decided that her B+ was so much
>better than the other students paper, that she should have a higher
>grade.
>
>I've written to her and tried to explain that I am helping each student
>to do their best work and that I try to grade improvement (sort of
>a within-students approach).  I always start with a list of
>certain necessary items (e.g., correct information, format,
>organization, proper use of citations) and then allow a few points for
>overall quality and flow.  This distribution of possible points allows
>students to earn credit in different ways.
>
>I guess my question concerns "fair" grading.  Is it possible to adhere
>to uniform grading standards?  Is it even desirable?  I think of
>my students as individuals and see my job as teaching individuals, not
>judging students by the skills and knowledge which they bring to class
>on day one.  How do others deal with this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Pam
>
>        Pamela Joyce Shapiro | email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>        Temple University    | voice mail: (215) 204-9595
>        Cognitive Psychology | box # 888-3214

* PAUL K. BRANDON               [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Psychology Department                        507-389-6217 *
*     "The University formerly known as Mankato State"      *
*    http://www.mankato.msus.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html    *