I want to thank those who responded to my fair grading question.  It was
a relief to find that my criteria are not dissimilar to those of Miguel
Roig (from his web page).  Paul Brandon and Annette Taylor make a
distinction between final course grades and intermediate grades for
drafts. I agree with this completely and have explained to my students
that I will not assign final grades below their total points or average,
but I reserve the right to adjust "up" for those who are borderline and
have demonstrated significant growth.  Thanks also to Tim Shearon and
Shirley-Anne Hensch, who make good points regarding students' privacy
and the nature of grading papers.

Lou Manza's response regarding uniform standards forced me to examine
my philosophy of teaching as well as my personal biases regarding
undergraduate standards. I worry that as a long time graduate student
my immersion in the psych literature and constant exposure to the
graduate level of thought and writing among my student colleagues, may
lead to unrealistic expectations for undergraduate papers.  I'm
confident in my ability to recognize talent, but not so sure about the
standards for an average paper.  I expect this will come with
experience, but for now I truly struggle with the grading process.

Annette's response about stretching a student reminded me of my favorite
teaching story.  Anne Sexton, when asked about her teacher, Robert
Lowell, said that he would hold up a hoop, and all she had to do was
jump through it.  I have always thought that it takes a very special
teacher to know just how high to raise that hoop--high enough to force
a stretch, but never so high that one falls too far and too hard to
recover.  I don't think we can get it right every time, but I intend
to keep trying.

All my best,

Pam
        Pamela Joyce Shapiro | email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Temple University    | voice mail: (215) 204-9595
        Cognitive Psychology | box # 888-3214