I think this is a good way to begin the H/Systems class, and I also find
that many of the students still don't get it.  I am thinking of developing
some refresher lectures/demos on these topics.  Stanovich's book may be
useful here in the capstone class, and anticipating the kinds of naive,
mundane objections to psych science that the students have might help.  For
example, discuss what we have learned about topics that people assume can't
be studied (love, sex, emotion, thinking, judgment) by utilizing a
scientific approach.  Handout some research papers and show what has been
done (this also helps them practice reading research, reinforce the
experimental/research methods classes, etc.).  Disabuse them of the appeal
to absolutistic conceptions of Truth, Cause, which plague the
novice/layperson and reinforce the conceptions of probablistic, tentative
statements that characterize good science.  Discuss the fact that our most
reliable knowledge of the world--including human behavior, feelings,
thoughts, etc., still has come from the tentative, questioning approach of
science.  Anyway, you get the idea.  I think they need a renewed
appreciation of knowledge painstakingly developed.   I have another request:

    I have the students develop a major paper in the History and Systems
class, but frequently find they have trouble doing anything more than
listing a chronology (and, sometimes merely "lifting") and repeating what
they read.  I want to help them develop their own thinking about that
history or aspect of the field.  Has anyone some tips on this?  Perhaps, a
different paper outline?  I am thinking of using papers from a history
journal or perhaps psych review? for models to give them an idea of what can
be done.  They are expected to develop a final oral/ or poster presentation
of this paper, but I find the papers really lack insight.  Perhaps,  a
different kind of paper?  Any ideas appreciated,  Gary Peterson

Gerald (Gary) L. Peterson, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Psychology
Saginaw Valley State University
University Center, MI 48710