Paul-
I've gotten about four versions (identical in almost every respect) to the
post you sent me on Michael's question. (not a criticism as I'm sure you
aren't the gremlin responsible for email problems!!! :) ).I'm trying to get
past my original misunderstanding but how could one "give a drug giving
only the side effects" of the one under investigation when we don't really
know what side effects are. What I mean is the specification of side-effect
vs main effect of a drug depends on what you are using it for. For example,
Benadryl is an antihistamine. But it also has effects on dopamine,
serotonin, and other amines. It is often used as a sleeping pill and for
pain relief drug in those in groups who can't usually tolerate
benzodiazepines, and/or more powerful analgesics. So what are the side
effects- depends on what you are prescribing it for. (By the way, if I seem
particularly dense, it is due to trying to fit in responses between
committee meetings, classes, grading, term papers, etc. Also, inherent
density!!:) ) Can you clarify what specific ethical delimmas you were
thinking of- If there are new ones I'm at a perfect point to bring them up
in a psychopharmacology course and I'll bet it would benefit others on the
list to know as well. (Again, sorry if my haste is leading to poor thinking
and or time wasting- your post has really hit a nerve (in a good way!!)
with me right now: Seems like it happens about this time every year when I
realize how much reading has stacked up in my office at home- Come quickly
summer!)
Tim Shearon

Timothy O. Shearon, PhD
Albertson College of Idaho