Hmmmmm....

Does a light bulb glow if there is no one there to see it?

Does sauerkraut stink if there is no one around to smell it?

If I do something without thinking do I still exist?

Is there still a Rush Limbaugh? ... A Newt Gingrich?... Henry Hyde?

At 9:28 AM -0700 5/12/99, Annette Taylor wrote:
>I always say yes to this question because the sound waves are formed
>whether or not they are perceived by anyone.
>annette
>
>On Wed, 12 May 1999, Michael Sylvester wrote:
>
>>  I am teaching Cognitive Psychology this summer and while discussing
>> Sensory input and perception,a student asked:
>> "if a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around,
>> does it still make a sound?"
>>
>> I assume yes because a tape recorder could be left there to monitor
>> the forest activity.
>>
>> Michael Sylvester
>> Daytona Beach,Florida
>>

>Annette Taylor, Ph. D.
>Department of Psychology               E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>University of San Diego                        Voice:   (619) 260-4006
>5998 Alcala Park
>San Diego, CA  92110
>
>               "Education is one of the few things a person
>                is willing to pay for and not get."
>                                               -- W. L. Bryan

                "It's impossible that everything
                  that is possible is happening."
                        - Richard Feynman
Professor Keith A. Maxwell            |
Legal and Ethical Studies             |  Voice:         253 756 3703
School of Business                    |  Fax:           253 756 3500
University of Puget Sound             |  Internet:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tacoma, WA 98416                      |