...it will be difficult to commit to empirically-based and material
explanations of human behavior and experience while maintaining one's
beliefs in such things (nonthings?) as supernatural and nonmaterial
forces, revealed wisdom, and the like.

Ouch.  There's been lots of discussion disagreeing with this so I won't
add more, but your statement sounds rather intolerant and somewhat
offensive to anyone with a faith or religion.  It may be hard for you to
understand, OK, but I join the voices saying science and religions are
not antithetical.

--
Jennifer S. Ripley, M.S.
Psychology Intern

"In dreams begin responsibilities"  William Butler Yeats