Hi Tipsters!

and he also wrote:

>        There are many valuable features to religion, but a dynamic nature is not
> one of them.

Sorry, not accurate.  It may be accurate for the religions you cite but not
necessarily for all religions.

For example, take a look at Judaism.  Certainly, the Judaism of 4000 years ago is very
different from 2000 years ago.  And it has continued to evolve.  It is not static.
Note:  all of the below are "cliff notes" - thus, each are much more complex than
presented.

Let's go back 2000 years.  There were four major branches of Judaism.

1. The Sadducess - the priestly sect - tended to be wealthier class. Rejected the Oral
Law of the Pharisees.  Major focus was the Temple and the sacrifices.  Could be called
Torah literalists.  As such, they would represent the static version of Judaism.

2. The Pharisees - most similar to forms of Judaism today with Rabbis (means
teachers).  Accepted the Oral Law (passed down orally through the generations) and
then written into the Talmud (there is more than one and it is made up many sections.
Represents a law book as well as rabbinic stories/lessons.  Gets reinterpreted as
times and cultures change (much like the law does with the court systems in the United
States).  Not static.

3. The Essenes - have been described as "an acetic and disciplined group of ancient
hippies".  Moved out into the desert, were mostly celibate.  Wanted nothing to do with
the Temple.  Could be considered a monastic order.  Some associate them with the dead
sea scrolls and Qumran has been thought to be Essene ruins.  It has been hypothesized
that Jesus may have been an Essene.  While it was a new branch of Judaism, the
celibacy clause does limit one's group lifespan.

4. The Zealots - could be characterized as anti-Roman rebels.

Thus, of the above, only the Sadducees represented a static view.  Now you might argue
that there were still some fundamental threads that connected the traditions.  So,
let's move on to the 20th Century.

Below are the major branches but others will be also identifies Judaism is still
continuing to evolve:

1. Traditional and Orthodox Judaism:  While there are differences between the two,
they represent the most traditional branches of Judaism.  Believe that the written and
oral law were passed down from God to Moses at Sinai.  One could argue (although they
might disagree) that they are the least dynamic (in terms of change) of the branches
of Judaism.

2. Conservative Judaism:  A middle road between Reform Judaism and Orthodox.
Considers itself bound to the law that is presented in the Torah.  However, it
considers that change and innovation appropriate for other areas of Jewish law as
presented in the Talmud (for example, women can be rabbis and cantors; individuals can
drive on the Sabbath; etc.)

3. Reform Judaism: Called Progressive Judaism in some parts of the world.  Tikkun Olam
(repair of the world) or social activism is central to Reform Judaism.  Jewish Law,
both written and oral, is not perceived as having been handed down directly from God
to Moses but rather written by people (and thus changeable).  Religious standards are
not imposed on individuals - rather, free inquiry is encourages such that individuals
can make informed choices concerning which traditions they may observe.  While a
belief in God might seem a prerequisite, I know of one women who is a rabbi who
throughout rabbinic school maintained her position that she did not believe in God.
She is quite the activist however.  Tends to be very dynamic.

4. Reconstructionist: Judaism as civilization.  Mordecai Kaplan argued against a
"transcendent, personal God" and against the idea of Jews as the "chosen people" (a
concept that is often misunderstood).  He believed that "modern science rendered
untenable the concept of a personal God".  Viewed Judaism as an "evolving religious
civilization" with its own teachings, culture, peoplehood, observances.  He was the
first to develop the idea of Jewish Community Centers.  Of course, this branch has
continued to evolve and some of Kaplan's original ideas have been rejected.  Again
dynamic.

Then of course, there is also:

5. Chasidism (with its different branches) :  Too hard to explain.  Go to:
http://rebbe.org/chasidic-stereotypes.html  Be prepared to have the black hat-beard
stereotype challenged.

6. Secular Judaism - similar to Humanistic Judaism but often less structured.  More a
cultural perspective.

7. Humanistic Judaism:  "Humanistic Judaism is a nontheistic alternative in
contemporary Jewish life. Humanistic Judaism embraces a human-centered philosophy that
combines rational thinking with a celebration of Jewish culture and identity."  Has
synagogues, a society, etc. - thus more formalized than what one might think of when
considering secular Judaism.

And there are probably more (particularly if you asked an Israeli).  However, it does
present the dynamic nature of Judaism.  It is not a static, dogmatic religion.  Even
the basic such as belief in one God are not universals within Judaism.  It continues
to grown, evolve, and change (particularly in some branches).

Warm regards,

linda

--
linda m. woolf, ph.d.