Whether it is you reversing the position, or someone else, I still do
not think it is helpful.  In this particular case, we already know that
not everyone is devastated by the experience.  We also already know that
some are.  We already know, therefore, that it is not a unidirectional
effect.  What I would like to know is the degree of skewedness and
kurtosis of the distribution.

I may have misunderstood your intent in making it, but I don't think I
misunderstood the statement.  Stating propositions as opposites might be
great for setting up debates or arguments, but it clouds the issue when
looking for the truth.  It seems to me that we would be better off to
start with a position somewhere between the extremes.

I am glad to know that you would have taken the original position had
the original position been the opposite.  Did I get that straight?  ;-)

And, I guess you are correct about my response.  I confess, I do tend to
get a tad emotional when I hear self-serving "advocates" perpetuate lies
and distortions in order to get publicity for their cause and cash in
their coffers.  A defect that I am sure I will someday be able to
overcome.

Sorry if it appeared that I was accusing you of accusing APA of
anything.  That was unintended.  I would only accuse "... Dr Laura, the
congressmen, and others, as well as groups like Family Research Council
and other advocacy groups ...." of such odious conduct.

--
John W. Nichols, M.A.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Home: http://www.tulsa.oklahoma.net/~jnichols/home.html