Jim, am I reading you correctly?  Are you saying that the asking of
questions or a discussion such as the one we are having about science, in
this cas vis avis religion, is a tearing down of science? I hope not. That
sounds like the 13th century Pope who wanted to excommunicate Thomas
Acquineas because he devised 10,000 questions which objected to
Christianity. Later cannonized, Acquineas, having answered all the
questions, argued that to have a belief without any cause, without any
reasoned reflection was to have no true belief at all and to be exposed to
attacks.  Acquineas argued that self-examination strengthen the foundation
of one's belief and offered ammunition as it were in any discussion.  It
would seem the same is true about the role of science in society.  To say
merely "trust me and believe me," I think is insufficient and a weakened
position.

Make it a good day.

                                                       --Louis--

Louis Schmier                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of History             http://www.halcyon.com/arborhts/louis.html
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA  31698                           /~\        /\ /\
                        -_~    /  "If you want to climb mountains,   \ /^\
                         _ _ /      don't practice on mole hills" -    \____