Hi Tipsters!
Sorry to respond so late to this post.   Claude Steele's stereotype threat research
revealed one potential reason why there are differences in placement exams or testing
between men and women (or racial differences too).   What his research suggests is that
the testing situation may create an environment that is different for women (or other
groups) and negatively impacts performance.

Discussion of this work can be found at the website below
http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/srs/nsf96311/3sidebr4.htm

Cheers,
Diana Kyle
Fullerton College