When I teach both intro and social one of my main goals is to make students
aware of the cognitive biases that affect the way all of us view the world
and interpret events, behavior, etc.  I usually cite a study by Vallone,
Ross, & Lepper (1985) showing how perception of bias in network news reports
on the killings in a Beirut refugee camp were completely reversed for those
with pro-Arab leanings versus those with pro-Israeli leanings.  Each group
felt the reports were biased: Pro-Arab Ss felt the reports gave an Israeli
bias; Pro-Israeli Ss felt the same reports were biased in favor of the
Arabs.  I then cite a contemporary example that may have the same dynamic.
I have used the Rodney King incident, OJ's trial, and more recently the
Clinton impeachment trial.  If no one objects, I am thinkig of gathering
together some of our recent posts and presenting them to my next class as a
potential real-life (assuming academia qualifies) example of this same
phenomenon.  I think it would make a real impact on students to see that
even their psychology professors may occasionally fall prey to the same
psychological processes that afflict the masses (or at least the majority of
college sophomores).  What do you think?  Last semester I used the web site
that was posting the comments generated by reaction to publication of
Harris's Nurture Assumption but I think we may have outdone ourselves here.
Maybe there is even a possibility of an example or two of escalation of
aggression?
Do we have an expert on conflict resolution who could turn this into an even
better learning experience?

Michael Quanty
Psychology Professor
CBMTS Project Director