From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 1999 4:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: State-dependent learning

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Since college in the late 60s I have ridden bikes with hand brakes.  Yet
> today when I was riding on a nature trail near the college, with my hand
> resting on the brake I was startled by a squirrel and immediately tried to
> brake with the pedal.  Earlier on the same ride i had slowed successfully
> for other squirrels that gave me more warning.  My speculation is that
even
> though all of my recent experience has been using hand brakes,  my
> experience with panic stops were in my wilder youthful days when I had
> pedal
> brakes.
> Is this the same as or similar to state-dependent learning ?  Perhaps I am
> merely regressing.
>
> Michael Quanty

I wouldn't say state-dependent. It's probably an example of Zajonc's (1965)
(social) facilitation theory. When aroused, simple and well rehearsed and
dominant responses are more likely. Zajonc's theory meant to explain
_social_
faciliation: the presence of other people causes facilitation of simple
effects as due to simple arousal. Under panic or crisis situations, it is
the
most rehearsed, and most strongly established responses that pop out. He
also
demonstrated "social" facilitation in the cockroach - perhaps showing that
it's a basic feature of our behavior and doesn't require much of a brain.
So,
the trick is to practice the response you want repeatedly until _it_ becomes

dominant. Because of this arousal effect, when I use cruise control I always

keep my right foot right above the accelerator, not the brake, because I
know if
I ever have to panic stop, the old response of lifting the foot, moving it
the left, and slamming down, will dominate.

Zajonc, R.B. (1965) Social facilitation. _Science_. 149, 269-274.

John W. Kulig
Plymouth State College

Plymouth NH 03264 USA
".... I was created in secret and curiously wrought in the lower parts of
the earth"  Psalm 139

This mail sent through IMP: http://web.horde.org/imp/