On Fri, 9 Jul 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I need some citations that say that multiple choice exams can test
> more than just simple factual knowledge.  On one of my other lists
> the topic of credentialing in a health profession is being hotly
> debated.  One of the frequent statements when this topic comes up
> on this list is that the exam is MC and therefor does not really
> test whether the practitioner is competent.

I think it's a myth that multiple choice exams are inferior to other
means of testing student knowledge. One reason why students believe
this may be that they are sometimes only familiar with the multiple
choice questions provided by textbook publishers, which are often
inadequate. Perhaps they might be more impressed if they tried the
multiple choice questions on the Graduate Record Exam, which are of
much higher quality. But this doesn't explain why many teachers
also believe in the inferiority of multiple choice.

As for a citation, the eminent psychometrician Anne Anastasi (caspule
review of her distinguished career at
http://ericae.net/ets/womentest.html#ANNE ANASTASI)  had this to say
about the issue, among other things:

[Multiple-choice tests] "have largely replaced essay questions...not
only because of time restriction in test scoring but also--and more
important--because they provide broader subject-matter converage,
yield more reliable and more valid scores, and are fairer to
individuals".

Earlier, she had noted that essay questions can't adequately test the
ability to "select, relate, and organize material" or to "express
ideas clearly and accurately". In contrast, she concludes that good
multiple choice questions can "tap complex thinking processes,
reasoning, evaluation of arguments, and the application of knowledge
to new situations".

My quotes come from the 6th edition of her respected textbook
_Psychological Testing_. I believe a 7th was subsequently published
and it might be worth checking as well.

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy