Hello all you TIPSies,

I wanted to get a message in before everyone took their midmorning and
afternoon naps. Because of various projects (both home-related and
work-related), I have contributed little to TIPS this summer. I thought
I should rectify that somewhat. While reading on the stair climber this
morning, I came across the following "fun fact" that I had never heard
before. According to Beyerstein (1999), Hans Berger, the developer of
the electroencephalogram, intended his device to measure neural activity
associated with psychic phenomena:

"The German psychiatrist, Hans Berger (1873-1941), was initially moved
to adapt for human use the apparatus employed by earlier researchers to
record the electrical activity of animals' brains because he thought it
might reveal a mechanism that could account for psychic phenomena
(Beyerstein, 1985). Berger saw the equipment he developed and named the
_electroencephalogram_ ... as a means of reconciling his spiritual
beliefs with science. To the dismay of his colleagues, he even devoted
part of his inaugural address when he became Rector of the University of
Jena to the use of the EEG in the study of clairvoyance and telepathy.
In the last publication of his life, Berger outlined his theory of how
thoughts could be propagated telepathically by radiating brain waves.
Unfortunately, these fluctuating brain currents (at one time known as
the "Berger rhythm") obey the inverse square law and drop to
infinitesimal levels only millimetres from the scalp." (P. 64)

Perhaps we have such a hard time finding evidence for psychic phenomena
because of the overuse of anti-dandruff shampoo: we're washing away our
Berger Rhythms.

I post, therefore I am,

Jeff