It's funny we are discussing chickens that run around with their heads chopped
off.  I also grew up on a farm and though you can take the boy out of the farm,
you don't necessarily take the farm out of the boy.  I live  on an acreage with
my wife and children and this year we raised chickens to show the kids what I use
to do when I grew up on the farm.  We butchered about 100 of them this summer and
though several flopped around, none of them acutally ran.  Though I have to
admitt that the strain of the chicken will make a difference.  When I was a kid,
there were a few occasions that some chickens travled up to about 10-12 feet with
ther heads chopped off.  However, they were not in an upright position as they
flopped around, though mostly propelled by leg movement.

For what its worth.

Steven L. Voss
Psychology
Oak Hills Christian College