Nancy wrote:

> it's raining - it becomes much more difficult to concentrate on the
> conversation.  I want something that I can have the students do
> in class that
> duplicates the effects of this.

        1. You're dealing with nineties students Nancy. Have them take a pop
quiz. Then have them take another one while chewing gum. Same effect. :)

        2. A bit more seriously; put them together into small groups and have
them discuss an issue then debate it with the other groups. Next put
together new groups but this time pass out bowls of popcorn for them to
munch on, emphasizing that them must be very careful not to spill any of
the popcorn on the work surfaces or floor. Give them the same time to
prepare and an equally challenging topic. After the debate, discuss the
difference in quality of argumentation and preparation and help them to
discover the reason for the differences.

        Personally, I like the first one better, but . . . ;)

        Rick
--

Rick Adams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"... and the only measure of your worth and your deeds
will be the love you leave behind when you're gone."

Fred Small, J.D., "Everything Possible"