Hi -

In a message dated 8/15/99 9:57:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Quite a number of years back, I recall working with an undergraduate
>  on a project involving ketamine administered to rats. At the time it
>  was claimed to be a unique "dissociative anesthetic" which blocked
>  pain without depressing the nervous system. I recall reviewing the
>  literature and discovering that the evidence in favour of this claim
>  was not impressive. We also found that it functioned poorly as an
>  analgesic agent for the rat, using the tail flick test (shine a hot
>  light on the animal's tail until it flicks it. If you instead smell
>  burning rat tail, you have a good analgesic agent (just kidding: you
>  always turn the light off before this point is reached)).
>
>  Anyway, for the rat at least, I never trusted it as a humane
>  anesthetic agent. If people claim to be awake while operated using it,
>  I have no trouble believing this.
>
>  -Stephen
>  Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
>  Department of Psychology                  fax: (819) 822-9661
>  Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  Lennoxville, QC
>  J1M 1Z7
>  Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy

Stephen et al. -

I too had/have great concerns about the use of this drug to induce anesthesia
based perhaps on somewhat anecdotal evidence.  When you spend a year or so in
a daily schedule of training macaques, you get to 'know' each individual
animal quite well. It was my sense over time that post-surgical behavior
(e.g., fear) of some of 'my' monkeys may have extended beyond the effects of
the focal lesion sites and general reactions to the surgery. . . A bond of
trust was irrevocably broken.

My curiosity was stimulated by this topic once again yesterday, and I looked
for more recent *psychological* research on ketamine last night after
returning from a social event.  My take on this brief review of the
literature is that ketamine is still widely used as an anesthetic for animals
as well as humans, and is still a hot topic of research. (almost 3,000
citations generated by Medline) Behavioral data is minimal compared to
neurophysiological data (e.g., NMDA receptor effects, neurotransmitter
inreractions, etc.) There is recent evidence however  that in humans,
ketamine induces thought disorder secondary to the disruption of working
memory, and that it disrupts semantic memory.  Ketamine may exacerbate both
the positive and negative symptoms of schizophrenia.  The effects in
schizophrenia may be localized and differentiated based on the activity of
different isomers of ketamine. Ketamine may also selectively affect
spontaneous EEG and sensory evoked potentials.  A number of the abstracts
read indicate that neurophysiological effects of ketamine may be
long-standing.

 <A
HREF="http://www.medscape.com/server-java/MedPage?med95-97+932877+(ketamine+hc
l)">ketamine-memory</A>  <A
HREF="http://www.medscape.com/server-java/MedPage?med95-97+688692+(ketamine+hc
l)">ketamine-psychosis</A>  <A
HREF="http://www.medscape.com/server-java/MedPage?med95-97+462700+(ketamine+hc
l)">ketamine-psychosis2</A>  <A
HREF="http://www.medscape.com/server-java/MedPage?med95-97+407235+(ketamine+hc
l)">ketamine-eeg</A>

I found that three recently published studies on the safety of ketamine as an
anesthetic (based on a read of abstract alone) may be lacking in systematic
assessment of psychological variables. Same old, same old neglect of behavior
data in medical research ??. . .  I wonder how agitation was measured. Will
check this out next trip to the library.

 <A
HREF="http://www.medscape.com/server-java/MedPage?med95-97+892160+(ketamine+hc
l)">ketamine-pediatric safety</A>  <A
HREF="http://www.medscape.com/server-java/MedPage?med95-97+582483+(ketamine+hc
l)">ketamine-intl safety</A>  <A
HREF="http://www.medscape.com/server-java/MedPage?med95-97+270596+(ketamine+hc
l)">ketamine-pediatric safety2</A>

Don't know if this helps, Nancy. . . nonetheless, thanks for the interesting
diversion. I enjoyed looking into this topic again. I have never allowed
ketamine to be administered to my daughters. A brief reevaluation has not
changed my stand on this issue.

Sandra NR

p.s. Stephen, you might find this study of interest !  <A
HREF="http://www.medscape.com/server-java/MedPage?med98-99+264625+(ketamine+hc
l)">ketamine - rat analgesia</A>

*
Sandra Nagel Randall, Ph.D.
Wayne County Community College District, MI
Department of Human and Community Development
22265 Carleton Ave.
Southfield, MI  48034

Athabasca University, Alberta, Canada
Biopsychology Consultant