Dear Networker,

WELCOME TO TIPS!!

The following document explains how to access the basic functions of the list
(i.e., subscribe, send messages, unsubscribe, set the digest option, get the
membership list, and retrieve past discussions).  YOU SHOULD KEEP A
COPY OF THIS DOCUMENT IN YOUR FILES FOR YOUR FUTURE USE. Please feel free to
send this file to anyone you believe would be interested in TIPS.

If you do decide to unsubscribe for any reason, I would encourage you to drop
me a note telling me why.  Please be completely honest so that I can consider
whether changes must be made to improve the list.

Once again, WELCOME TO TIPS.  I hope you find many meaningful exchanges that
help you improve your teaching.

Bill Southerly
TIPS Listowner

You may subscribe to the list by sending a  "SUBSCRIBE TIPS Yourfirstname
Yourlastname" (quotes not included) to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please do not send this to the list address  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM TIPS

You may leave the list at any time by sending a "UNSUBSCRIBE TIPS" (quotes not
included) message to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Please note that this command must NOT be sent to the list address
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY ADDRESS CHANGES?

If your address changes after you subscribe to TIPS, you will be unable to
send messages to TIPS or change any of your mailing options (e.g., nomail,
digest, unsubscribe) since our mailing software will not recognize your new
address as a subscriber's address. So what do you do?  First, you should
resubscribe with the new address so that you can post messages and change any
of your mailing options.  Then you will have to unsubscribe the old address.
Since you can only unsubscribe your old address by sending the commands from
your old address, you will either have to use some type of software (e.g.,
Netscape) that allows you to temporarily change your email address so
that you can send the commands from this old address or you will have to
contact me ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) so I can remove your old address.

HOW TO SET THE NOMAIL/MAIL OPTION

If you want to shut off delivery of mail temporarily send the following
message SET TIPS NOMAIL  to either of the LISTSERV addresses listed above.
When you want to start it up again, send the following message   SET TIPS MAIL
to the
same LISTSERV address.

HOW TO SEND MESSAGES TO THE LIST

Messages to the entire list should be sent to the following address:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 In addition, the list is structured such that the REPLY
command can be used to send a message to the entire list.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND MESSAGES TO INDIVIDUALS TO THE  TIPS  ADDRESS!!!!!!!

The TIPS address is for messages you wish EVERYONE TO READ.  Please send
individual messages to the individual's address only!

DIGEST OPTION

If you prefer to receive all of the messages in one message a day (DIGEST
option),  send the following command:

        SET TIPS DIGEST to the address

   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you wish to return to the non-digested version of TIPS simply send the command:

        SET TIPS NODIGEST to the address

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

HOW DO I FIND OUT MY PRESENT SUBSCRIPTION STATUS?

If you wish to find out what options you have presently in effect for your
TIPS subscription, simply send the command    QUERY TIPS  to the

[EMAIL PROTECTED] address.

HOW TO ACCESS THE TIPS ARCHIVES

The TIPS archives can now be read or searched by keyword if you have GOPHER
access.  Simply gopher to the following address:

        FRE.FSU.UMD.EDU

You can access the TIPS archives from a web browser as well by using the
following address:

       GOPHER://FRE.FSU.UMD.EDU

HOW DO I FIND OUT WHO IS SUBSCRIBED TO TIPS?

You can retrieve the list of people subscribed to the TIPS list by sending the
one-line message  REVIEW TIPS to the following address:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

WHAT TO DO IF THESE COMMANDS DON'T WORK OR IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ?????

The first thing to do is to be patient and try them again later that day or
the next day.  If they still don't work, send me a description of the problem
and forward any error messages you receive back from our site to me at the
addresses below.  Please DO NOT SEND THESE TO THE TIPS@.... ADDRESS, this
simply creates a large volume of junk mail for all subscribers and further
clogs the internet.
  • no mail Dr. Luis Montesinos
    • Billl Southerly