Domjan discusses responses guided/elicited by stimuli independent of the
eliciting stimulus and provides an example involving a fish (mouth-breeding
cichlid) that carries the young in its mouth.  When the young are outside
the mother and a large object approaches or there is turbulence (eliciting
stimulus) they swim to the mother's underside where there are dark patches
that the young poke at, and inevitably enter her mouth for safety.  The dark
patches on the underside of the mother are considered the stimuli that
provide feedback independent of the eliciting stimuli.

I had a student ask for another example and I have not been able to find a
good one.  I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Rob Flint
Robert W. Flint, Jr., Ph.D.