If a student can do well in my class by reading the book and "yoking"
(using another's notes) - or using notes from the net -  ... then the
problem is not that the notes are on the net ... the problem is that what
is required of the course does not necessitate coming to class.  And this
may not even be a problem!  It is only if there is something about the
classroom experience that is missed and that matters ... but then it should
show up in the assessment.

           david
           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

p.s.  we should be changing what we teach from year to year anyway ...
making last year's notes incomplete and merely helpful not sufficient for
doing well.