I (Jeff Ricker) wrote:

> > The words of Bertrand Russel ring very true for me here:
> >
> > "When there are rational grounds for an opinion, people are content to set
> > them forth and wait for them to operate. In such cases, people do not hold
> > their opinions with passion, they hold them calmly, and set forth their
> > reasons quietly. The opinions that are held with passion are always those
> > for which no good ground exists, indeed the passion is the measure of the
> > holder's lack of rational conviction" (quoted in Schick & Vaughn, p. 103)

And Rick Froman responded:

> I think the
> passion someone puts into their ideas has little to do with the quality of the
> idea and more to do with the personality of the individual and the reaction of
> the listeners.  I have read posts from some pretty passionate people on this
> list who I believe are quite rational.  Sometimes, rational people can get quite
> worked up when others don't see things the same way they do.  I get most
> enthusiastic and passionate about concepts I am teaching when I see blank
> faces and I can tell that I am not getting through.  I would say that how
> deeply an issue affects someone personally is a better predictor of how
> passionate they will be.

I retract my (implied) inference that the amount of "heat" generated in a debate is
negatively correlated with the quality of evidence supporting the opposed claims:
my inference was based on substandard evidence (anecdotes and appeal to authority).
I don't think, however, that I'm ready to agree with Rick's claim since it's based
on similar evidence.

Jeff

--
Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (480) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (480) 423-6298

"The truth is rare and never simple."
                                   Oscar Wilde

"No one can accept the fundamental hypotheses of scientific psychology
and be in the least mystical."
                                   Knight Dunlap