Al,

I think that when parents make the difficult decision to medicate a child
for ADHD, it would be  easy to attribute any effect such as you describe to
the disorder.  ("Whew!  At least he's better when he's on his meds!")  I
have, however, heard many descriptions of "rebound effects" that appear to
be exacerbated ADHD symptoms that occur when the drug is wearing off (about
2 and a half hours after taking it).  In fact, these effects often lead to
trying other, longer acting drugs such as dexedrine or adderall.

As the mother of a kid with ADHD, I have also been told that too little of
a stimulant can be worse than none -- especially for eliciting frustration,
acting out, even aggressive behavior.  Note, however, that I've never been
able to locate research that supports this assertion.

In any case, finding the right drug at the right dose is a careful,
individual process.  I hope your friend has found a doctor who is willing
to work at this and responds appropriately to your friend's reports of
concerns.

Jacque

Jacquelyn Gore Mercer
School Psychologist-in-Training