Today my Advanced Placement Psychology class finished going through the
various parts of the brain and split brain research.  At the end of the
discussion a student asked one of those  fantastic questions that lets you,
the teacher, know that they, the students, are thinking.  I love getting
those types of questions but many times, as is the case here, I was
stumped.  The student's question involves how the each side of the brain
controls the opposite side of the body.  He understood the left side of the
brain controls the right side of his body and vice versa.  What he wanted
to know was why the brain was set up this way?  He was looking for an
evolutionary or functional explanation for the phenomenon.  I couldn't come
up with anything.  That being the case I said I'd post his question online
and let the experts take a shot at it.  I appreciate any insight anyone
might be able to provide.

Kent Korek

Kent Korek
Germantown High School