Hi

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Gary Peterson wrote:

> I have been talking (in and out of class) about personality development and,
> particularly, Mahler's idea of separation-individuation which emphasizes the
> child's growing sense of autonomy as someone
> in-relation-to-yet-separate-from others.  I bring in Erikson and others
> here, but have always felt such ideas, which seem to look upon personal
> development as achieving independence from others, is terribly
> culture-bound.  Do any tipsters have sources to consult for a broader
> cultural perspective on the child's effort toward autonomy?  Any cultural
> critiques of popular attachment or separation-individuation ideas, or
> infusion of other cultural perspectives on so-called "object-relations"
> views of child personality?  Just beginning my search for a broader view...
> Gary Peterson

There is a _huge_ literature on individualism-collectivism, which
is directly related to the issue that you are concerned about.
Triandis has a book and a number of papers.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark