Listfolks,

I wanted to support Stephen and others in the position that actually it
matters little whether or not we can trot out research showing evidence of
long-term negative effects from spanking children as a means of disciplining
them.

My position is simply that hitting children is immoral.  Some people make an
irrationally drawn distinction between spanking a child on the butt and
hitting him/her in other places - but from a rational perspective this is
bogus.  We are causing pain to our children and promoting violence as a
solution to problems when we raise our hands to them.

If all the research in the known universe failed to demonstrate any long-term
negative effects, I would still feel the same way.

Nancy J. Melucci, Ph.D.
El Camino College
Torrance CA
A full-time Cinderella who will turn back into a part-time Pumpkin come
12/17/99