I would like to draw everyone's attention to a recent article published
by Kirby Deater-Deckard using the prospective longitudinal data
collected by Ken Dodge. The article found that physical punishment was
linked to externalizing problems for euro-american children only, and
not for african american children. I find this article rather
interesting but also want to note that lots of kids develop
internalizing problems, and don't aggress when they are upset.
Oftentimes we view internalizing children as perfectly well-adjusted
because they aren't externalizing. But they may be depressed, anxious,
withdrawn, or suicidal. Nevertheless, we must consider cultural context
in our assertions.

Deater-Deckard et al. Physical discipline among African-American and
European-American Mothers:  Links to Children's Externalizing Behaviors.
Developmental Psychology.
--
Tasha R. Howe, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Psychology