On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 20:34:49 -0500 Al Cone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In science we build by replicating (with extensions) on the method side in
> order to confirm or disconfirm the earlier findings of others. To say that
> someone "failed to replicate" means that researcher number two didn't
> duplicate the procedures of researcher number two. It says nothing about the
> results.  Perhaps I'm being old fashioned in insisting upon this traditional
> distinction.
>
> Al

Al:

Would you provide a reference for that distinction.  I have had
someone else tell me the opposite, that replication refers to
results and not method.

(I have tried to take the middle ground and state what is being
replicated..method or results or both.)

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
USA