In a message dated 10/25/99 12:37:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  ><A HREF="http://ase.tufts.edu/cte/occasional_papers/cb-tools.htm">THE
>  >EFFECTIVENESS OF COMPUTER-BASED TOOLS</A>
>  >http://ase.tufts.edu/cte/occasional_papers/cb-tools.htm
>
>  I took a quick look at the site.  A few comments:
>    1.  Lack of publications in peer reviewed journals.
>    2.  The comparison is generally with 'traditional'
>   course organizations.
>   We know that almost anything will be an improvement.
>    3.  I did not read these specific studies, but a general problem with
>   similar studies has been:
>      a.  A lack of control for differences in the time put in by students
>   in different types of courses.
>      b.  Academic integrity issues:  lack of validation concerning the
>   conditions under which exams are taken in online courses.
>  These are questions which must be answered before we can conclude anthing
>  about the relative effectiveness of online instruction.
>
>  * PAUL K. BRANDON               [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
>  * Psychology Dept       Minnesota State University, Mankato *
>  * 23 Armstrong Hall, Mankato, MN 56001      ph 507-389-6217 *
>  *    http://www.mankato.msus.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html    *

Paul -

Thanks for pointing out the caveats in this line of research comparing
pedagogy. Haven't had the opportunity to see if anything new exists in the
work cited at the above site, but will be looking for treatment of the
factors you mentioned when I do. . . In fact, these are issues I would like
to address systematically myself. Will need, however, a consistent
professional setting to do so !

Sandra Nagel Randall